Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Day, um, 62: Gold Shot-Silk Sequined Dress


What happened to the last couple of days, you ask? Where did all that dedication go? I was struck down for a couple of days with not a cold, I fear, but an influenza virus. I'm now well enough to cough and hack at my computer screen instead of merely flopping on the couch or lying in bed doing nothing at all.

I made a this replica using a sewing magazine I subscribe to as a guide. The original was an illustration, but the details state that a sequined fabric in gold was used. The original garment was Yves Saint Laurent.

The whole thing is really quite simple; a little jiggery pokery with textures, a wee skirt and a handful of toruses. The opaque black tights that go with the dress are system socks tinted black.

I have been left wondering whether I should have made a system skirt to go with this outfit, and indeed, may yet return to this outfit to refit it. The original is a tunic dress, designed to fit quite tightly through the thighs; I do think the flexis look nice, though - except for their unfortunate habit of exposing one's bottom when one walks around. *shrug* That's what same color underwear is for.

-> Here is an terrible shot of the original dress, showing virtually none of the detail that I carried across. Nevermind. You can see that this dress has been designed to fit a reed-thin model, and not really myself or my avatar, so the modifications and accommodations I have made make sense. It would be an interesting experiment to make a few more shapes to see how my designs go fitting a wide range of shapes ...

Lastly, a pic of me at home, on my lawn. I like to stop for any sunset and record the moment :)


No comments: